Friday, October 21, 2011

Home » , , » It's All In The Mind

It's All In The Mind

Lately I've been experiencing dreams where I seemingly woke up from sleep, got up from bed and did my morning prayers before I suddenly realized 'oh fuck, I'm still in a dream' and woke up again to find that I'm still in bed.

The farthest I've been in this 'dreamwithinadream' is when I've prepared my breakfast and was just sitting down to eat them before I realized that it was only a dream. True enough, I woke up to find myself in bed with no breakfast.
Fuck.

Shit is annoying at first, but soon it got creepy. It shows that you aren't actually 100% in control of your body; even though you think you're living your life, it may be that you're actually just living a dreamlike existence all those while, and what you'll find when you really wake up is not going to be very pleasant.

Case in point, I was rudely shook by the fact that I haven't prepared breakfast when I've been dreaming of sitting down to eat a delicious meal. Imagine if I continued dreaming past breakfast and actually proceed through my daily activities, all the while dreaming of it all. I might've gone on to sleep the whole day, and what a rude shock that would be if I managed to wake up at all. Assuming I can wake up and not succumb to the dreamlike existence I've lived for the last 24 hours.

It's not unlike the movie The Matrix, where intelligent computers have enslaved human beings by putting their minds in a simulated reality (similar to a prolonged dream) so that they think they're living their daily life: walking, talking and eating; when in reality, they're curled up in a fetal position, submerged in amniotic fluid with wires connected to their brains, their minds constantly fed with streams of information to simulate the 'real world'.

I believe that given an optimum sleeping condition, a person having this kind of dream can go on sleeping for weeks, convinced that he is living his 'real' life. Perhaps it will actually delay aging (similar to cold sleep) or whatever, but I don't want to know what happens when that person wakes up after living his 'life' for so long. Madness might only be the beginning.

Maybe this blog post hasn't really happened, and I'm actually still in bed and dreaming about it.

It's all in the mind
Botak

No comments: